Local NewsCrime


COLD CASE CONFESSIONS: Man comes forward as shooter in 1996 North Las Vegas homicides

Willis King Davis_LVMPD_Cold Case murders.png
Posted at 6:15 PM, Feb 23, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-24 03:18:21-05

NORTH LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — 25 years after police in North Las Vegas found three bodies in two separate investigations that were never solved, a man has reportedly come forward as the shooter.

According to police documents, authorities charged Willis King Davis with three counts of Open Murder with a Deadly Weapon related to two cold cases from 1996.

CRIME NEWS | Read more Las Vegas area crime-related stories

Davis was brought into police custody on Jan. 12 after officers discovered he had a concealed .40 caliber handgun; his arrest report shows. While in custody related to that stop, he told police he wanted to confess to killing people years earlier.

The report says Davis told police that in the mid-90s he and two friends drove to Regal Estates, near Commerce Street and Carey Avenue, in order to do a drive-by shooting. He said he was a gang member looking for rival gang members in the area.

Davis told police he shot at a man multiple times who was standing at a bus stop and says he knew he killed the person.

The arrest report says the details Davis provided police included information "only a guilty person would know." He was charged with one count of murder related to a case from 1996.


Davis also told police that around the same time his friends would often give him a hard time for "being friends with a rival gang member." He recalled walking through "Crip City" to Clayton Street through a desert area with two other people -- one in his gang and another person in a different gang, the report says.

He then told police he asked someone (whose name is redacted) if he could"hold the gun," and once it was handed to him he shot that person and the other person in the head.

One of the people shot tried to run so Davis told police he chased them down and shot him a second time.

Police noted in the report that Davis explained there was a distance between the two bodies due to the fact that the man tried to run away.

Davis was charged with two counts of murder related to that investigation from 1996 as well, for a total of three murder charges between the two investigations.

He is being held at Clark County Detention Center and is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 25.