LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — In an internal letter to employees, MGM Resorts announced on Monday that it is canceling shows previously expected to begin in August.
The company says current health data is the reason for the decision and that it will reopen all of its entertainment venues when "it is safe to do so."
The letter addressed to entertainment and sports employees also says that MGM Resorts plans to "call back as many of our division's employees as possible, as quickly as we can."
MGM Resorts owns several major properties on the Las Vegas Strip, including MGM Grand, Bellagio, Mandalay Bay, Park MGM, and others.
The company also shared the following resources for employees below:
MGM Emergency Grant Fund: Created several years ago to provide financial assistance to employees facing difficult circumstances like natural disasters, fires, accidents, and other hardships, the fund’s eligibility was recently expanded to include employees impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and related property closures.
- How it works: Grants are provided to MGM employees and directly pay urgent needs like rent, mortgage payments, groceries, utilities, and other essentials.
- Employees separated on Aug. 31 remain eligible to request grants under the Employee Emergency Grant Fund through Nov. 29.
- Amount raised/distributed: More than $14 million raised for the Grant Fund, including a $6 million donation from MGM Resorts.
- To date, the company has dispersed over $11 million in emergency grant payments supporting qualified employees and their immediate families impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.
- More information on Grant Fund: Can be found HERE and HERE.
- Facilitating employment: MGM partnered with large companies like Amazon, Walmart, Kroger, Albertsons, CVS and others to provide temporary employment for MGM employees impacted by the closures.
- Continued health coverage: MGM is providing health coverage for all furloughed/laid off employees through Aug. 31.
Read the full letter below: