LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Gov. Steve Sisolak issued a statement following reports that a federal judge has dismissed President Donald Trump's lawsuit against a state measure to expand mail-in voting in Nevada (AB 4).
Nevada's Republican secretary of state filed the motion to dismiss the lawsuit last month.
Judge James Mahan wrote in his decision that the Trump campaign’s claims of constitutional violations wouldn’t be solved by simply blocking the law. He also rejected an argument that AB 4 would lead to more voter fraud, saying the Trump campaign failed to show substantial risk and the state already had measures in place to deal with it.
Attorney General Aaron Ford says he’s not surprised by the judge’s ruling.
“Trump contingence had no basis in fact. They were entirely speculative and therefore didn’t provide a basis for the court to provide any relief," he said.
Gov. Steve Sisolak says he is pleased with the federal judge's decision. On Twitter, the governor wrote:
I’m pleased to see a federal court judge has dismissed a lawsuit seeking to block AB4, a measure passed to expand options for Nevadans and provide for safe, fair & accessible elections during the pandemic. Well done and congrats to AG @AaronDFordNV & your entire team!
The following statement was sent to 13 Action News from President Trump's campaign.
“We are disappointed in the decision upholding the Nevada legislature’s last minute and reckless overhaul of its electoral system and are assessing our options.” – Trump Victory Spokesperson Keith Schipper
Assembly Bill 4 passed during a special legislative session in Carson City and was signed by Gov. Sisolak in August. Under AB4, the state will automatically send ballots to every registered voter in Nevada.
Voting by mail is not the only option, there are also early voting polling locations all throughout the state. For a list of polling locations click here.
Nevada's early voting period runs from Oct. 17 to Oct. 30. Election Day is on Nov. 3.