HENDERSON (KTNV) — The City of Henderson said it will direct $2 million in coronavirus relief funds to programs that support small businesses in the city and families that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic closures and restrictions.
One week into the Small Business Recovery Grant Program application process, the City of Henderson has received more than 160 applications. And representatives say small businesses are the lifeblood of the community and provide jobs and essential services to Henderson residents.
To accommodate the growing number of businesses applying for funds (up to $10,000), the city is expanding the Small Business Recovery Grant Program.
“Over the last week, we have received a better understanding of the number of small Henderson businesses that need financial assistance as well as the expectations for distant learning and what a virtual school day will look like for Henderson students,” said Henderson Mayor Debra March.
Henderson’s Battle Born Kids and Teens programs have been operating since March 16 when schools were closed following Nevada governor’s directive, with the original mission of the programs keeping kids safe and engaged while their parents continued working.
With schools employing a distance learning model for the foreseeable future, the city says it is also adapting the Battle Born programs to allow more screen time for students to complete their classwork.
“We want to see our community get back to work and know essential components to making that happen include giving small businesses a jump start to recovery and having a safe place for kids during the day while parents are working," March said.
For Henderson families where all-day childcare is cost-prohibitive, the city says it has expanded its financial assistance program. More information is available here.