Local NewsCoronavirus

Actions

Gov. Sisolak updates COVID-19 deaths, orders golf courses to close

Gov. Sisolak press conference April 8.jpg
Sisolak tweets.jpg
Posted at 4:41 PM, Apr 08, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-09 02:16:44-04

NEVADA (KTNV) — Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak provided an update Wednesday evening regarding the State of Nevada's efforts to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19.

Gov. Sisolak's remarks were carried live from the Grant Sawyer Building in Las Vegas on-air, online, and on the governor's Youtube channel.

Gov. Sisolak said Nevada has 81 deaths due to COVID-19 as of Wednesday, with two healthcare workers included in the total, and 329 patients in the hospital.

He thanked the more than 400 Nevadans who have signed up to serve on the Battle Born Medical Corp., as the workers will add much-needed help to the state's frontline workers.

The governor also signed a new directive ordering golf courses, public sports venues like basketball and tennis courts to close.

When it comes to Personal Protective Equipment, the governor said 47,500 gowns, 800 coveralls, over 715,000 N95 masks, and over 1.3 million pieces of PPE overall had been distributed throughout the state to healthcare workers.

Sisolak tweets.jpg

Showrooms at essential businesses that are used to display goods for sale like household appliances should close to the public, according to Gov. Sisolak.

Operating businesses must also provide adequate protections for their workers and adopt sanitation protocols that minimize the risk of coronavirus spread.

When it comes to real estate, open house showings and showings of tenant-occupied homes are prohibited, according to the governor. He said people can still buy and sell a home with digital showing methods and through appointment showings, but social distancing standards must be followed.

"We recognize Gov. Sisolak’s need to issue this declaration. We also thank him for recognizing the use of technology in allowing virtual open houses and individual showings by appointment to continue in all properties," said Nevada REALTORS, in a statement.

LATEST: National, state coronavirus coverage

Licensed barbers and stylists are prohibited from offering in-home beauty services other than to those in the household.

Also, the governor's directive said places of worship are prohibited from holding in-person services with 10 or more people, including drive-in or pop-up services, for the duration of the State of Emergency. Religious leaders were also encouraged to find alternatives to in-person service.

The Nevada governor urged the continued effort for Nevadans to stay home during the current pandemic in his Sunday press conference.