The American Red Cross is assisting two adults and six children after a fire caused $75,000 in damage to their home.
Firefighters were called to the 2-story home near Washington Avenue and Jones Boulevard after several 911 calls around 7:39 p.m. Saturday. Crews at the scene were able to bring it under control in ten minutes.
The fire gutted the kitchen and caused substantial damage to the attic, living room, and back patio. The rest of the house had smoke damage.
One person who lived in the house said he was cooking and a pan of grease caught fire. He ran across the street to get an extinguisher from his neighbor, but when he came back, the fire was too big to fight.
The family and pet dog escaped without getting hurt.
According to fire investigators, this is the second time this family has experienced a cooking fire. The first one remained in the pan and didn't damage the house.
Las Vegas Fire and Rescue says that cooking-related fires are the leading cause of fires in Las Vegas.