Local News


Cat saved after North Las Vegas house fire

2 people were displaced
Cat saved after North Las Vegas house fire
Cat saved after North Las Vegas house fire
Posted at 5:26 PM, Feb 24, 2017
and last updated 2017-02-25 02:43:36-05

A cat was saved after a North Las Vegas house fire Friday afternoon.

The city of North Las Vegas Fire Department responded to 5238 Ferrell St., near Washburn Road and Simmons Street, for a reported house fire.  

Numerous calls from witnesses came in beginning at 12:47 p.m. Upon arrival of the first firefighters at 12:52 p.m., they found a single-story, single-family home with heavy smoke and flames showing. Once crews were on scene they were able to extinguish the fire.  

Calvin Lynch says he spotted smoke at his neighbors' house when he went outside to barbecue Friday afternoon. He ran up to the door and knocked. When no one answered, he called 911.

As firefighters were battling the flames, he says he told them he thought the couple had a dog. Shortly after, firefighters came out carrying a cat that was lifeless and immediately hooked it up to oxygen and performed CPR. It was shortly after the cat was revived.

"I didn't really see it move after that," Lynch said. "It actually kind of shook me, so I turned the other way. I just thought it was awesome that they were able to bring it back to life."

The cat is in good condition now.

The North Las Vegas and city of Las Vegas Fire Departments were able to contain the fire to the involved home, saving the immediately adjacent structures from any damage. The main fire was extinguished within 10 minutes of the first firefighters' arrival. The fire took approximately 37 minutes to completely contain.  

There were no injuries to firefighters or bystanders to report.

Red Cross will be assisting the occupants.  

The house sustained severe smoke and flame damage. The estimated cost of damage is $100,000. The cause of the fire has been determined to be an accidental electrical.