Local News


Officers in Thursday shooting identified

Posted at 4:03 PM, Apr 01, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-04 17:01:39-04
UPDATE: The officers involved in Thursday's shooting were identified on Saturday.
Sgt. Eric Kerns is 56 and has been with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department since March 1992. He is part of the department's Homeland Security Division, Emergency Operations Bureau.
Officer James Coovert is 47 and with the department since March 1997. He is currently assigned to the Tourist Safety Division, Traffic Bureau.
Officer Abudhabi Lewis is 33 and with the department since September 2005 while Officer Carlos Luna is 44 and with the department since February 2004. They are both part of the Northwest Area Command.
All officers are on routine administrative leave.
A police report detailing adouble homicide and officer-involved shooting that killed a police K9 does not definitively say who shot the dog.
According to the arrest report, James Simpson told his mother someone was after him while carrying a gun around her house on Fast Elk Street.
Twila Oliver says her son called around 2:30 Thursday morning asking for a ride to her house. Oliver says she sent a taxi to get him.
Around 6 a.m., Oliver said Simpson knocked on her bedroom door carrying a handgun.
When she asked him to put the gun away or leave the house, Oliver says her son got upset and started yelling "that someone was after him and they were following him and were outside."
Oliver eventually convinced Simpson to give her the gun, which she took to her bedroom.
A short time later she says she walked into the living room and Simpson once again had the gun, and talking about someone following him.
Oliver says she called 911 before leading her son outside. Simpson still had the gun in his hand.
Oliver says her son searched the car in the garage like someone was inside.
That's when Oliver says her neighbors, 31-year-old Branden Hughes and 46-year-old Felicia Wimberly-Hughes, began walking towards the garage.
When Simpson saw them, Oliver says he went back inside and threw the gun into a bathroom just inside the door.
The mother and son then struggled over the gun, Oliver telling officers she got the gun and went back into the garage.
The report does not say how Simpson got the gun back, but says as they walked into the garage, Branden Hughes was standing there. That's when Oliver says Simpson shot him.
Felicia Wimberly-Hughes went to offer help for her son. Oliver says Simpson then grabbed Wimberly-Hughes by the hair and hit her with the gun.
Oliver says Simpson then threatened to shoot her, before firing three shots that missed Oliver.
At that point Oliver says she went to check on her mother who was in a nearby room. That's when she heard several more shots.
Officers later found Wimberly-Hughes dead at the front of the garage.
Officers then arrived at the home to find Simpson walking in the street. They say Simpson initially put his gun down, but remained standing right next to it.
They then say Simpson picked up the gun and stared running from the officers.
That's when Nicky's handler released the K9.
Officers say Simpson turned and started shooting at them while running away.
Officers returned fire as they say Nicky made contact with Simpson and took him to the ground.
When officers approached they found Nicky dead on top of Simpson's right arm and the gun under Nicky. Simpson was taken to University Medical Center for treatment where he remains hospitalized.
He has since been booked in to the Clark County Detention Center in absentia on two counts of murder among other charges.