Local News


5 displaced after apartment fire near Pecos, Gowan

Firefighters help lift family's spirits
Posted at 1:03 PM, Dec 29, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-30 21:48:02-05

UPDATE: Despite the fire, 11-year-old Doejay Woods enjoys his Christmas break playing with friends.

"I came over because he was looking cool," Doejay said, referring to a firefighter on scene of the apartment fire.

"It's excitement to even for them to even still be able to smile, have a good day and enjoy it instead about what we are going and where we are gong to go," said Shavonda Oliver.

Mustering up a smiling face is something that's difficult, a single mother of 4, just hours earlier a cooking fire destroyed her home.

"After Christmas, we have nothing now but I am thankful that my kids are alive so I still say I am blessed," Oliver said.

Doejay lost his gear for football while his 15-year-old sister is now in ROTC without a uniform.

"With the help of neighbors and the community hopefully we can get though it and everything will be okay," Oliver said.

Doejaty said he inspired to be a firefighter. A lesson he learned while tackling such a tragic day was that firefighters don't just battle fires.

"He did more than his job because he cares about his community and the people he saves," Doejay said.

A GoFundMe has been set up for the family.


NORTH LAS VEGAS (KTNV) -- Firefighters were on the scene of an apartment fire on Thursday.

It was reported around 11:35 a.m. at 3521 Rio Robles Drive, near Pecos and Gowan roads.

As a result of the fire, one of the units is a complete loss, with $100,000 in damages. The fire was due to a cooking incident. One firefighter was taken to University Medical Center with minor injuries.

There were no injuries to residents. One adult and four children have been displaced.