Local News


31 displaced in Henderson apartment fire

31 displaced in Henderson apartment fire
Posted at 9:49 AM, Jun 21, 2017

The Henderson Fire Department reported that careless smoking started a fire that damaged an apartment building Tuesday evening and displaced 31 residents.

The Henderson Fire Department responded at about 6:25 p.m. to a residential structure fire at 800 N. Major Ave., near Burkholder Boulevard.

The first arriving engine crew observed smoke and flames coming from a second floor unit in a two-story multi-family apartment building. Firefighters initiated an offensive attack and entered the apartment to extinguish the fire, preventing extension of the fire to neighboring units.

One person was evaluated at the scene for smoke inhalation but declined to be transported to the hospital. There were no injuries to residents or firefighters.

The American Red Cross is assisting 31 residents displaced from multiple apartment units due to fire, smoke and water damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to careless smoking. The total estimated loss is $150,000.