Local News


3 people displaced in northwest Vegas house fire

Posted at 12:08 PM, Apr 17, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-17 15:08:06-04

Three people are displaced after a house fire in northwest Las Vegas Saturday night.
Las Vegas Fire & Rescue responded to the 5500 block of Deodar Drive, near Smoke Ranch Road and Jones Boulevard, at 9:26 p.m. Saturday after neighbors reported to 911 that smoke was coming from the roof of a house and the windows were cracking.
When firefighters arrived on scene, light smoke was showing from the roof. It appeared that no one was home, so firefighters had to force entry into the house through the front door.  They found the house full of thick black smoke, almost down to the floor and it was very hot inside. They found a small fire in the living room and had it out in a couple of minutes.
The fire was mostly smoldering polyurethane foam used as the padding in sofas and beds, which Las Vegas Fire & Rescue says produces a thick black smoke especially when it is more smoldering than flaming. The acrid smoke spread throughout most of the house leaving a layer of black soot on nearly everything in the house. A sofa and small table were damaged by the fire.

Damage was estimated at $55,000.
Fire investigators believe the fire started under a small table next to the sofa and was electrical in origin. A power strip with several common household electrical items was found at the point of origin. The fire appears accidental.
Three adults were not at home when the fire started. They came home to find the fire department there. They plan to stay with relatives.
There were no reported injuries during the incident.