Local News


UPDATE: Friends remember 3 killed in I-15 crash Sunday

Posted at 3:53 PM, Aug 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-08 23:20:15-04

UPDATE: The victims have been identified as 56-year-old Michael Brandt, 20-year-old Carlan Michael Brandt and 25-year-old Ashley Piena. All 3 resided in Henderson. 

Family friends tell 13 Action News, mother Joy Brandt and Ashley's husband, Kekoa Piena, were also in the car, but survived the crash. 

They said the family was coming home from a week long vacation and just miles away from their Henderson home. 

"I heard that she was doing well. I also heard that she had accepted the news pretty well," said family friend, Mike Talbot. 

An odd reaction for most, but not for this family who is strong in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints community. 

Michael Brandt was an LDS educator who worked as a bishop for some time, while son Carlan had just returned from a 2-year-long mission trip. 

"Mike and Joy have done so much and everybody knew them. They are people that were very serviceable," Talbot said. 

The causes of death for all 3 is pending.

The family has set up a GoFundMe account. Those interested can also donate money at the Green Valley Ward under Bishop Chad Gubler. 


CLARK COUNTY (KTNV) -- Three people were killed and two are in critical condition after a fiery rollover crash on Interstate 15 Sunday afternoon.

Nevada Highway Patrol reported the crash occurred around 3:04 p.m. was on southbound I-15 near Milepost 75, by the Valley of Fire exit. The vehicle caught fire, which the Clark County Fire Department put out.

NHP says the driver veered left, overcorrected and then rolled over into a ravine of the right side of the freeway. The driver was among those killed.

There were five total occupants inside the vehicle and four people were ejected. NHP said it was likely they were not wearing seatbelts.

Three of the occupants were pronounced dead on scene while two were airlifted to University Medical Center in critical condition.


Southbound Interstate 15 was closed for more than three hours as officials investigated.

This is a developing story. Check back to 13 Action News for updates.