Local News

Actions

1 person hospitalized, 6 displaced after space heater causes fire

Damages are estimated at $100,000
KTNV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 1:34 PM, Jan 31, 2019
and last updated 2019-01-31 16:36:14-05

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — 6 people have been displaced from their home near Decatur Boulevard and Warm Springs Road after a space heater caught fire just before 9:45 a.m.

Clark County Fire Department says the space heater was too close to flammable items and caught fire in the garage before spreading to the living area. Authorities estimate $100,000 worth of damage.

One person was transported to a hospital for smoke related issues.

The Clark County Fire Department wants to remind everyone that space heaters must be placed on a solid surface free from wobbling. The area around the space heater must be free of paper, cardboard, bedding, linens, clothing and any other items that can easily catch fire. Authorities also say to review the owner’s manual for your space heater and follow its instructions.