Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time for military families to create some happy memories.
The best part of a Memorial Day road trip? Military families can take advantage of some major savings thanks to the numerous special discounts offered to recognize the holiday.
In addition to checking out local offers, military families looking for a fun road trip should consider the following discounts:
- Knott’s Berry Farm Military Tribute Days from May 28-30. The park offers free admission for all active, retired and veteran military personnel throughout the holiday weekend. A valid military ID must be presented to receive the free admission, as well as up to six discounted tickets each.
- Busch Gardens (Tampa, Florida and Williamsburg, Virginia) offers the Waves of Honor program —any active military personnel can claim one free admission to their parks, including up to three direct dependents. This offer must be purchased before arrival at the parks through the park’s official website. This deal is also available for SeaWorld, Adventure Island, Water Country USA, Sesame Place and Aquatica SeaWorld Waterpark.
- The Bronx Zoo and the New York Aquarium gives active duty and reserve members free admission and a 50 percent discount for up to three family members. This offer can only be claimed at the front gates (no online purchases available). Military discounts are not applicable on Wednesdays at the zoo and aquarium.
- Mystic Aquarium (Mystic, Connecticut) honors active military members and veterans over Memorial Day weekend by giving them free general admission with a military ID, Veterans Administration Card or form DD214. Military family members also receive discount admission.
- Blue Star Museums offer free admission to active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day to more than 2,000 museums across the country. Blue Star Museums is a collaboration between the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense and participating museums.
- Kings Dominion amusement park (Doswell, Virginia) celebrates Memorial Day weekend with free admission to all active and retired military personnel. This special is valid from May 28-30, 2016. The park also plans an extended fireworks show and live entertainment during the holiday weekend.
- Kings Island amusement park (Mason, Ohio) also offers free admission to all active and retired military personnel over Memorial Day Weekend. Plus, up to six members of a military family can purchase discount tickets for $29.99 each throughout the weekend.
- Cincinnati Zoo (Cincinnati, Ohio). Free admission for active and retired military on Memorial Day, plus the ability to purchase up to six half-price tickets for the immediate family.
- Schlitterbahn Water Park (locations in Texas and Kansas). American Heroes Week runs from May 30-June 5, 2016 at all water park locations. All military, emergency medical technicians, firefighters and police officers receive free admission throughout the week (identification required). Half-price tickets for dependents are also available for purchase. The New Braunfels and South Padre Island locations also have a 20-percent off deal for resort rooms for the military.
- Carowinds amusement park (Charlotte, North Carolina) hosts Military Days on May 29-30 where active, inactive, or retired military members get free admission to the park.
- Carnival Cruise Lines honors Military Appreciation Month by offering special discounts, onboard credits or active or retired military. Travel must be booked by May 31 and discounts are valid on sailings between Aug. 1, 2016 and April 30, 2018.
- Colonial Williamsburg (Williamsburg, Virginia) celebrates Honoring Service to America weekend from May 27-30 by giving military families free admission.
Visit Military.com for more information on military travel and other discounts.