Is there anything more soothing than a hot bowl of soup? Sure, it may not be soup weather in some parts of the country, but we think a pandemic means we can bend the rules a bit.
Disney has been sharing fan-favorite recipes to keep Disneyphiles busy at home while we wait for the theme parks to reopen. We’ve been busy in our kitchens making Dole Whip, cookie fries, churro bites, Mickey beignets and more. Next up, it’s Canadian cheddar cheese soup from EPCOT’s Le Cellier Steakhouse at Walt Disney World. With ingredients like bacon, cheese and beer, it’s no surprise that this rich and creamy soup has a cult following.
Making the soup at home couldn’t be simpler. A half pound of bacon, plus onions and celery sauteed in butter, form the soup’s base. Add flour to thicken, then add three cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Next, add four cups of milk and simmer for 15 more minutes.
To finish the soup, remove from heat, add Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and a pound of white cheddar cheese. Blend with an immersion blender until the cheese is melted and the texture is silky smooth, then stir in 1/2 cup of warm Canadian golden lager to finish.
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup from Le Cellier Steakhouse at EPCOT
Serves 10 (Printable recipe)
- 1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
1 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup warm Canadian golden lager or any pale lager-style beer
Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
- In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon, stirring, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add red onion, celery, and butter and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after milk is added.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Blend with immersion blender until cheese is melted and soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.
At Le Cellier Steakhouse, which is housed in the Canada pavilion with EPCOT’s World Showcase, every table gets a basket of pretzel bread and rolls, ideal for dipping in the warm, cheesy soup. To make the perfect at-home accompaniment to this soup, try this foolproof recipe for Mickey pretzels.
For even more delicious Disney dishes to make at home, check out the recipes for a decadent grilled cheese, a classic Disneyland Monte Cristo sandwich and a one-dish chocolate, peanut butter, banana French toast (perfect for brunch!).
Is there a Disney recipe you’d love to recreate at home? Let us know!
This story originally appeared on Simplemost. Check out Simplemost for additional stories.