Black Friday, also known as the day after Thanksgiving, is traditionally one of the top shopping days of the year in the United States. But Amazon Prime Day is quickly gaining ground as another shopping “holiday” when huge discounts can be had on big ticket items — and this one is global.
Amazon Prime Day began in 2015 as an annual birthday celebration for the $1 trillion company. Shoppers take advantage of massive site-wide deals, which are hinted at in advance or announced on the big day.
Adding to the element of surprise, Amazon Prime Day does not happen on the same day each year. Again, the announcement comes suddenly — so make sure your checking account is prepared!
Here’s what you need to know about Amazon Prime Day 2019, including predictions on the date, and the types of deals you can expect.
When Is Amazon Prime Day 2019?
Prime Day 2019 has not yet been announced, and Amazon likes to keep customers guessing as to when Prime Day will occur. However, it typically takes place the same time each year (summer) and CNET predicts Amazon Prime Day 2019 will take place in mid-July.
In 2017, Amazon Prime Day actually stretched from July 16 until July 18, and in 2018, it stretched from July 16 to July 17. Perhaps you’ll want to pencil “Amazon Prime Day” into your calendar on July 16, 2019 just to be safe. (And maybe the name should be changed to Amazon Prime Days?)
How Do You Shop On Amazon Prime Day?
Like the name suggests, shoppers have to be members of the Amazon Prime service, which costs $119 annually.
According to Amazon, the company said it acquired more new Prime members last year on July 16 than any other day in history.
What Deals Can Can We Expect For 2019?
Amazon Prime Day traditionally features discounts on tech gadgets and hardware, but it includes kitchen supplies as well. Here are some of the top deals expected for 2019:
- Kindles, Echo speakers, Fire sticks and tablets, such as the Amazon Fire HD 10 — all of which are made by Amazon — are good bets for discounts, according to Gamespot.
- You can also expect Amazon to drop prices on 4K TVs, video games and video game consoles. (Take a look at last year’s best Xbox One gaming deals!)
- If you’re already thinking about back-to-school shopping, you may be able to snag good laptop deals — including deals on MacBooks. Laptopmag suggests that gaming laptops may also be part of the deals.
- Last year, a deal on the Instant Pot was hugely popular and it was the top-selling kitchen item, according to Chowhound. It would be reasonable to guess that there might similar deals on pressure cookers this year.
- Select skin care, beauty products and fragrances will be discounted on Amazon Prime Day. The company is already teasing 35% off on L’Oreal Paris skin care, lipstick and nail polishes from Julep and butter LONDON, hair dryers, flat irons and makeup brushes.
How To Prepare For Amazon Prime Day
If you’re planning to do a little retail therapy for Amazon Prime Day, make sure that you have the free Amazon app downloaded from the App Store or Google Play, so you can grab a deal on the go.
If you’re not already an annual member of Amazon Prime, you can purchase a one-month membership for $13. However, since we don’t know yet when Amazon Prime Day will occur, you may want to wait until later in June or even the beginning of July to start that month-long membership.
The products and services mentioned below were selected independent of sales and advertising. However, Don't Waste Your Money may receive a small commission from the purchase of any products or services through an affiliate link to the retailer's website.