An excessive heat warning has been issued from Thursday through Saturday.
It is in effect from 11 a.m. June 21 through 8 p.m. June 23. The National Weather Service states that in the Las Vegas valley and Pahrump, temperatures are expected between 110 to 115 degrees, 115 to 120 degrees in the Colorado River Valley and 120 to 125 degrees in Death Valley.
An air quality advisory is also in effect on June 20 due to high levels ozone, which can build up during daytime hours because of strong sunlight, hot temperatures, gasoline and chemical vapors, and pollutants from automobiles. Exposure to ozone can irritate your respiratory system and cause coughing, sore throat, chest pain, and shortness of breath.
The National Weather Service recommends taking extra precautions to if you work or spend time outside, rescheduling strenuous activities to early morning or evening, drinking plenty of water and wearing loose-fitting clothing.
A Movie in the Park event on Saturday at Gary Reese Freedom Park is being canceled due to the excessive heat warning.
Those in Las Vegas who need a break from the heat can take a break at the following cooling stations:
- Black Mountain Recreation Center - 599 Greenway Road; open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon.-Thurs., 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fri., and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sat.
- Cambridge Recreation Center - 3930 Cambridge Street; open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon.-Fri. and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sat.
- Courtyard Homeless Resource Center - 1401 North Las Vegas Boulevard; open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. all days
- Downtown Recreation Center - 105 West Basic Road; open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon.-Thurs., 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fri., and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sat.
- Dula Gymnasium - 441 East Bonanza Road; open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mon.-Thurs., 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Fri., and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sat.
- Hollywood Recreation Center - 1650 South Hollywood Boulevard; open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon.-Fri. and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sat.
- Pearson Community Center - 1625 West Carey Avenue; open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon.-Fri. and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sat.
- Stupak Community Center - 251 West Boston Avenue; open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mon-Fri. and 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sat.
- Walnut Recreation Center - 3075 North Walnut Road; open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon.-Fri. and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sat.
- Whitney Ranch Recreation Center - 1575 Galleria Drive; open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon.-Thurs., 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fri., and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sat.
Two cooling stations are also available for those in Laughlin:
- American Legion, Richard Springston Post 60 - 1510 Bruce Woodbury Drive; open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on days with temperatures over 112 degrees
- Colorado River Food Bank - 240 Laughlin Civic Drive; open 8 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Mon.-Fri.
For the latest forecast, check out the 13 First Alert Weather page .