U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos today recognized three Nevada schools as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2020.
The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups.
The coveted National Blue Ribbon Schools award affirms the hard work of educators, families, and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content.
Schools are eligible for nomination after five years.
The Department recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, student subgroup scores, and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools – These are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
Up to 420 schools may be nominated each year.
The following Nevada schools were recognized:
- Las Vegas Judith D Steele Elementary School Clark County School District
- Las Vegas Veterans Tribute Career & Clark County School
- Technical Academy District
- Las Vegas West Career and Technical Academy Clark County School District
The 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools Awards Ceremony will be held virtually Nov. 12 and 13.