This week's 13 things includes 13 virtual happy hours and cooking classes around the Las Vegas valley.
1. PT’s Taverns is hosting weekly virtual happy hours at 5 p.m. every Friday. This week, they are celebrating Cinco de Mayo. Lorena Peril, who is the host of “Fantasy” at the Luxor hotel-casino, will host the happy hour and will be singing a traditional Mexican song in Spanish. She and the cast will also answer questions during the happy hour. Check PT’s social media on Friday for information on how to join the happy hour on Zoom.
2. May 1 is Lei Day in Hawaii and Jayne and Eric Post — stars of “Marriage Can Be Murder” — are sharing a delicious recipe for SPAM dip. The show may be dark right now, but the couple is always up to something. Check out Eric’s Quarantine Log on Facebook.
3. Chef Vic Vegas is cooking on Facebook every Saturday for St. Jude’s Ranch for Children in Boulder City. Chef Vic has made numerous appearances on the Food Network and the hit show “Bar Rescue." The class is free, but participants are encouraged to donate to the ranch.
4. Vegas Baby Vodka co-founders Jennifer Higgins and Megan Wilkes have introduced a series of Vegas Baby Vodka virtual happy hours, happening each Wednesday at 5 p.m. PT. The duo shares various cocktail recipes, conversation and answer questions via Instagram Live at @VegasBabyVodka. Past themes have included easy at-home cocktails; brunch cocktails and bites; and date night at home. Upcoming topics include Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s Day, poolside cocktails and more.
5. Cooking at Home with SecretBurger.com started about 6 weeks ago and has been a huge success for the participating restaurants. Guests pre-order a cooking kit and then pick them up before the Facebook or Instagram live. Chef Elizabeth Blau from Honey Salt will be cooking chicken parmesan on May 1; Vincent Rotolo from Good Pie will be cooking calzones on May 2; Nina Manchev of Forte Tapas is the guest chef on May 3; Sonia from Rooster Boy Cafe on May 5 will make calzones; James Trees with Esther’s Kitchen on May 6; and Chef Brian Howard from Sparrow + Wolf will be hosting a backyard party on May 8. Kits sell out very quickly. Prices and times vary.
6. Chef Jeff Henderson will be cooking at noon on Saturday on Instagram with special celebrity guest R&B singer and Grammy Award Nominee Kenny Lattimore. Henderson is the creator of Food Network’s reality series “The Chef Jeff Project.”
7. D’Agostino’s Trattoria has been hosting live cooking demonstrations for a few weeks. There next one is happening at 4 p.m. May 5. Chef Dan and Brandi Thompson will be cooking shrimp scampi. They suspended their curbside contactless pickup and delivery services a few weeks ago, but will be relaunching it on May 1. Watch here.
8. Chef Dave Weiner has been cooking at home and sharing his recipes on Facebook and Instagram during Weiner’s Quarantine Kitchen. Most recently he taught viewers how to make a chicken breast stuffed with cheddar cheese and prosciutto; parmesan asparagus; and tuna sashimi.
9. Chef Yess Bryce, host of Hell Yess Let’s Cook and What Fresh Hell Yess Is This?, has been sharing her recipes on Facebook. She has shows at 3 p.m. every Saturday; 4 p.m. Mondays; and 5 p.m. Wednesdays. WARNING: Chef Yess is known for her coarse language and kitchen humor. Watch an episode below:
10. Chef Matt King with Smith & Wollensky has been working with Clarke Showroom and Test Kitchen to create easy and delicious recipes for you to try. Recent recipes include Social Distance Chili and Cajun Rub Filet. You can find recipes here.
11. Cozymeal is offering new interactive online cooking classes. You can take a class in the comfort of your kitchen taught by world-class chefs. You will learn culinary tricks and tips for selecting best ingredients. Learn how to cook Authentic Spanish Paella on May 1; Handmade Ravioli on May 2; and French Onion Soup and Crispy Orange Chicken on May 3. Classes typically cost $29 or $39.
12. Entertaining expert Paul Zahn has the perfect recipe for you if you are hosting a virtual happy hour. Find out how to make a Spiked Arnold Palmer below.
13. Celebrity Chef David Chang, who is well known in Las Vegas, is also cooking at home, almost on a daily basis. Recent recipes include lasagna, tuna salad and microwave boneless chicken thighs. You can watch him on Instagram.
Next week's 13 Things list is all about self-care tips. If you would like to submit a tip (and maybe a video), send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.