Local News


Massachusetts teen inhales pin before prom

Posted at 11:35 PM, Jun 01, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-02 11:47:54-04

A Massachusetts teenager probably won't forget her prom any time soon. And it is not because of her dress, the dance itself, or the way her date her asked. It's what happened after the prom.

Kathleen Garvey and her boyfriend, Colin Emerson, were on their way to their prom when his boutonniere fell off. As she was helping him reattach it, she stuck the pin in her mouth.

Her boyfriend made her laugh and suddenly, the pin was gone.

Garvey didn't know if she had swallowed the pin or not and went to the prom.

She wasn't in any pain at the dance, but went to a local hospital the next day to get checked out.

That was when it was discovered that she had inhaled the pin. The doctors at the hospital were surprised that the pin hadn't punctured or damaged anything.

After a quick 45-minute surgery, the pin was out.

Garvey and her boyfriend are seniors at Wellesley High School in Wellesley, Massachusetts.