A UNLV student was robbed and had his car stolen near campus on Thursday by a suspect with a wrench.
Police reported the armed man approached the student near the Campus Village Shopping Center on Maryland Parkway at about 2:45 p.m.
The suspect then robbed the student and took his 2013 Volkswagen Jetta.
The victim was not injured in the incident and UNLV police described the assailant as a Hispanic man who was wielding a wrench.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department is leading the investigation with UNLV Police Services assisting, as the situation took place off campus.
UNLV police shared these safety reminders:
- Remain vigilant both on- and off-campus at all times and report suspicious activity to the police. Remember, if you "see something, say something."
- Travel in pairs or groups whenever possible, and don't risk your safety by resisting during a robbery.
- When on campus, you can request a campus security escort 24 hours a day by calling UNLV Police Services at (702) 895-3668.
- Save (702) 895-3669 in your phone to contact UNLV Police Services for assistance on campus. Calls to 9-1-1 from a non-campus phone go to the Las Vegas Metro Police, which are forwarded to UNLV Police.
- Download UNLV's RebelSAFE app. The app will allow you to directly call UNLV Police without going through Las Vegas Metro Dispatch.
- Learn more about safety tips on our crime prevention tips webpage.