NORTH LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The North Las Vegas Police Department Police Explorer Program will be the first in Clark County to drop the requirement that youth must be US citizens to participate.
The NLVPD is removing these barriers to allow more participation in its Police Explorer youth program, which is an educational program for young people interested in a future career in law enforcement.
The minimum requirements to become an NLVPD Explorer are:
- Must be at least 15 but not yet 21 years old
- Have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA in all classes in high school or college if attending
- Be willing to submit to a thorough background check
- Have written permission from a parent/guardian if the applicant is under 18 years of age
- Be highly motivated and of good moral character
- Maintain acceptable attendance throughout participation in the program
Standout participants are being honored in a special meeting on Wednesday afternoon, in which they will be promoted to leadership roles.