NDOT announced the start of the final phase of Project Neon, which will eventually widen the 15 between Sahara and the 95.
Right now the project, which started in 2016, is 60 percent complete and is expecting to be finished by summer 2019.
Over the next 10 months, that means more closures as NDOT continues its work. Dale Keller with the project tells 13 Action News although that will mean more cones and headaches, NDOT has actually condensed the timetable much shorter than it would normally take, and they want people to remain patient. "It's like pulling off a Band-Aid," he says.
People will already begin some of the benefits soon, though. A new on-ramp is set to open on to the 15 south at MLK and Pinto.
Here are the major closures happening over the next 10 months:
Interstate 15 Mainline Impacts
March 6 – November 20
- Interstate 15 north and southbound will be reduced to three lanes in each direction between Sahara and Washington avenues, and reduced to two lanes near the Spaghetti Bowl for 250 days.
March 9 – 12, April, May, July, August, September
- U.S. Highway 95 north and southbound will be closed over six weekends at the Spaghetti Bowl.
Spaghetti Bowl Ramp Impacts
Ongoing – December
- U.S. Highway 95 southbound to Interstate 15 northbound ramp closed for 400 days.
March 3 – December
- U.S. Highway 95 southbound to Interstate 15 southbound ramp reduced to one lane and detoured for 250 days
Mid-March – Mid-April
- U.S. Highway 95 northbound to Interstate 15 southbound ramp closed for 30 days.
Local Street Impacts
Charleston Boulevard Ramps
Ongoing – March 2
- Interstate 15 northbound offramp to eastbound Charleston Boulevard closed for 30 days.
Ongoing – March 6
- Interstate 15 southbound offramp to Charleston Boulevard closed for 45 days.
Ongoing – October 10
- Charleston Boulevard onramp to Interstate 15 southbound closed for 200 days. (Pinto Lane onramp, however, opens March 6).
Martin Luther King Boulevard Ramps
March – December
- Martin Luther King Boulevard onramp to U.S. Highway 95 southbound closed for 300 days.
- Martin Luther King Boulevard onramp to Interstate 15 southbound closed for 300 days.
D Street Ramps
March – July
- D Street onramp to Interstate 15 southbound closed for 145 days.
July – November
- Interstate 15 northbound offramp to D Street will be closed for 145 days.