LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — City of Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman and Ward 6 Councilwoman Michele Fiore held a press conference on Tuesday in the lobby of City Hall.
Councilwoman Fiore said she is stepping down as mayor pro tem, during Tuesday's press conference.
"For the benefit of the city of Las Vegas, I am passing the responsibilities of being mayor pro tem back to the mayor of Las Vegas," Fiore said.
"We have had a lot of rhetoric and no resolve, I stand by what I said at our Republican convention, what I am not going to say is create more chaos by repeating it," said Fiore to a reporter.
Mayor Goodman said she was made aware of Fiore's decision at around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, just 90 minutes before the two called for the press conference.
"I believe in no way that Mayor Pro Tem Fiore ever be considered a racist or a bigot," Mayor Goodman said.
Councilwoman Fiore came under fire recently after reports surfaced about her making “racially charged” comments. She stood by her comments but also apologized for offending anyone.
"It's not as though we are wondering what she said, it would be nice if there was a sincere apology to the community, not to me, but the community for a statement that is really just so reprehensible," said Las Vegas Councilman Cedric Crear in a one-on-one interview with 13 Investigates.
Previously, Councilman Crear called for Fiore to be removed from her position of leadership.
"[The comments] were offensive to myself and also to the black employees of City Hall as well as members of the community," added Councilman Crear.
Mayor Goodman also said she would like Stavros Anthony to take over as mayor pro tem. The change would have to be ratified by the council.
Additionally, Councilman Crear shared his thoughts on social media after Fiore's announcement on Tuesday evening:
— Councilman Cedric Crear (@CouncilmanCrear) June 17, 2020
Tuesday's press conference can be viewed below: