Local News


House fire leaves family homeless

Posted at 11:20 AM, Apr 24, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-25 10:38:48-04
A family of five is left homeless after their house caught fire at 5 a.m. Sunday near Rainbow Boulevard and Washington Avenue.
The fire was apparently caused by electrical issues in the bathroom. One adult was asleep at the time of the fire. He woke to popping noises, and thought that someone broke into the house. But then he noticed smoke coming from the bathroom. It appeared the bathroom fan was on fire. He left the house with a pet dog and called 9-1-1.
Flames spread to the ceiling and wall of the bathroom, and into the attic. Firefighters arrived at the scene and put out the fire within 5 minutes. Damage is estimated at $20,000.
Three adults and two children lived in the house. They will be staying with relatives.
No injuries were reported.