With over 22 million jobs wiped out so far during the COVID-19 pandemic, WalletHub today released its report on the Cities with the Biggest Growth in Unemployment Due to COVID-19.
In order to identify where workers have been most affected by the coronavirus pandemic, WalletHub compared 180 cities based on how their unemployment rate has changed over time. They compared unemployment during the latest month (March 2020) to March 2019 and January 2020 in order to see the difference from the beginning of the year and from last year.
Here are the top 5:
1. Seattle, Washington
2. Hialeah, Florida
3. North Las Vegas
4. Miami, Florida
Increase in Las Vegas Unemployment Due to Coronavirus (1=Worst, 90=Avg.):
- 62.68% Increase in Unemployment (March 2020 vs March 2019)
- 21,740 unemployed people in March 2020 vs 13,364 in March 2019
- 4th highest increase in the U.S.
- 69.82% Increase in Unemployment (March 2020 vs January 2020)
- 21,740 unemployed people in March 2020 vs 12,802 in January 2020;
- 6th highest increase in the U.S.
To view the full report and your city’s rank, please visit: https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-with-the-biggest-growth-in-unemployment-due-to-covid-19/73647/