Local NewsCoronavirus


Nevada unemployment office asking for money back? There's an appeal option

Claimants may have received an overpayment notice
Posted at 4:25 PM, Nov 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-20 21:07:06-05

NEVADA (KTNV) — Several 13 Action News viewers have reached out about their frustration during the pandemic when it comes to their unemployment claims at the Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation.

Barbara Brighton, a singer and comedian, shared her story earlier this week.

RELATED: Nevada unemployment office citing website slowdowns

She says she received two messages from DETR on Tuesday claiming she'd been overpaid more than $10,000 from the federal CARES Act and more than $3,600 from PUA. However, Brighton also says she was disqualified from the PUA program in August and since then hasn't received a payment or a response to her appeal.

"How do you ask people to pay back what you never paid them," Brighton said.

RELATED: DETR claimants being asked to pay back money they never received

Thursday, Rosa Mendez, a spokesperson for DETR, said there are several reasons PUA claimants may have received a notice of overpayment.

The most common reasons are:

  • They were eligible for regular UI benefits and must apply in UI. If they had claims filed in both systems, the payments they received under PUA would be overpayments.
  • Or they may have received PUA payments based on the earnings they reported. If the documents they uploaded show a different level of earnings, they may have an overpayment.

Rosa also shared that claimants who receive an overpayment notice and disagree are able to file an appeal regarding any of the determinations made by DETR.

All determinations (UI & PUA) include instructions on how to file an appeal. If individuals disagree with the determination, they have the right to file an appeal.

RELATED: Nevada unemployment office asking for 'repayment' while many wait for payment

PUA appeals must be submitted online. To file an appeal, claimants log in to their account, select the Unemployment Services link and then choose to "File an Appeal.”

When it comes to UI claimants, they need to follow the appeal instructions included in their determination letter that was received in the mail. Appeals must be in writing, signed and should include the claimant’s social security number and the reason for filing the appeal.

These UI appeals may be faxed to 775-684-0338 or 702-486-7987 or mailed to ESD, Adjudication Center, 500 East Third Street, Carson City, NV 89713.

DETR says currently claimants may request an appeal after the date indicated on their determination letter. Appeals filed post date will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Additionally, filers needing an interpreter should include this information in their appeal request.

RELATED: Nevada residents still not satisfied with DETR answers

Claimants are urged to continue to file weekly claims to protect any benefit rights that may be established as a result of the appeal and once an appeal has been received and reviewed they will receive more information regarding the appeal.

Claimants could also follow the instructions on the overpayment notice to set up a payment plan, according to DETR.