Local News


Canadian mom claims daughter almost died during nap because of heat

Posted at 4:01 PM, Aug 02, 2017
and last updated 2017-08-02 20:15:28-04

A mother says that her 2-year-old daughter almost died because she took a nap in a hot room during a recent heat wave.

Jennifer Abma, who lives in Canada, noticed something was wrong when she checked on her child after about 90 minutes.

The girl's face was swollen and red and she was sweating.

Paramedics discovered the child's internal temperature was 104 degrees and her blood sugar was dangerously low.

Abma posted a photo of her child on Instagram as a warning to other parents.

A child's body overheats 3 to 5 times faster than an adults and indoor rooms can actually get hotter than it is outside.