Local News

Actions

Chaparral High School students react to custodian's arrest

chaparralhs.JPG
Posted at 7:17 PM, May 21, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-22 09:06:44-04

LAS VEGAS (KTNV)  — It's almost the end of the school year at Chaparral High School. Students are in their last week of school, but between studying for finals, most have been talking about the school employee under arrest.

Deamonte Warren, 21, was arrested May 17 by the Clark County School District Police Department.

RELATED: Chaparral High School custodian arrested for sexual misconduct

The arrest was the result of an investigation that was initiated by the school on May 16 after a student reported inappropriate contact.

The arrest was shocking news to some students.

"We all were very surprised because he just seems so normal to us. Like he seemed like any chill custodian, and then we found out the news," said Yuritza Molina.

"We would be hanging out at lunch, and he would come up and crack jokes. He was cool with us," said student Michael Aguilar.

Molina and Aguilar said Warren was a favorite among their peers. He had worked in the school for three years.

13 Action News spoke to Billie-Jo Grant. She sits on the S.E.S.A.M.E. board committee.

S.E.S.A.M.E. is a nonprofit organization that stands for Stop Educator Sexual Abuse Misconduct and Exploitation.

Grand said school employees are not supposed to fraternize with the students to avoid trouble.

"In the field of sexual conduct, about 5% of cases are formally reported to law-enforcement. The other 95% of the cases handled internally where there is no formal criminal record of the crime," said Grant.

Grant also said some schools provide sexual misconduct training only to their licensed staff, like teachers but believes regular staff members and even students should get trained as well.

"Training is one of the key pieces of this and making sure folks know that it's something that does happen and what it is how it happens and what the typical signs are for it and how to make a report," said Grant.

Grant explained to 13 Action News that there is a law in place that most parents and students are unfamiliar with Title IX.

According to Grant, the law prohibits sexual discrimination and sexual harassment in all public and private educational institutions that receive federal funds. She said all schools should have a Title IX representative that takes in all complaints and works on them.

Chaparral High School students told 13 Action News they felt it was unusual someone close to their age to work at the school.

"His mind isn't fully developed; it's like going to school with one of our own," said Ajalonna Willis.

13 Action News reached out to Clark County School District and asked if there were ever any concerns about Warren's age.

Mauricio Marin with CCSD said in a statement, "All candidates who meet job qualification criteria are welcome to apply for open positions with CCSD."

Warren is currently on indefinite suspension per the negotiated terms of his bargaining unit.

He has been booked into Clark County Detention Center.