LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The Ontario Ministry of Health is reporting that a person who recently traveled to Las Vegas has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
The new case is the 24th case for the province of Ontario.
During a press conference by the Toronto Public Health, it was revealed that the visitor who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 is a man in his 40s and that he is currently in self-isolation at his home.
Before reporting to a hospital in Ontario on March 3, he used public transportation on March 2 and 3 to travel to and from work. Canadian health officials assured the public during the press conference that the risk to anyone the man came into contact is low. However, they provided information about his travel routes and times during the press conference.
It was not revealed exactly what dates the man was in Las Vegas and they did not say if the man stayed in a hotel or private residence. They also did not reveal any information about why the man was in Las Vegas.
Other news outlets are reporting that the person was in Las Vegas to attend an international conference.
So far, there have been 49 confirmed and presumptive cases of COVID-19 in Canada.
The Southern Nevada Health District says they have been notified about the Toronto resident with a recent travel history that includes Las Vegas. The health district says there are no reports that this individual developed his infection during his travels. Public health officials in Nevada are gathering more information about this case. As of March 6, Toronto Public Health is reporting 14 positive cases of COVID-19 in Toronto.