Local News


2-alarm fire breaks out at pool deck of Westgate hotel-casino in Las Vegas

Officials say discarded cigarette started fire
Posted at 4:11 PM, Aug 21, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-21 20:14:49-04

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The Clark County Fire Department responded to a commercial fire at the Westgate hotel-casino Friday afternoon.

Fire crews were called to the property located at 3000 Paradise Road at about 3:25 p.m. with heavy smoke seen coming from a portion of the structure.

An additional alarm was called by CCFD to help contain the flames which were found on the pool deck area near the cabanas, with patio furniture involved.

Crews reported a knockdown of the fire just before 3:50 p.m. with officials saying they were able to contain the fire to the pool deck area without it spreading to the inside of the structure.

Las Vegas breaking news for Aug. 21

A preliminary investigation by CCFD indicated that the fire began accidentally due to a discarded cigarette with the person who inadvertently started the fire getting injured while attempting to put out the flames.

This person was transported to the hospital and the incident remains under investigation.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue also assisted in the call.

In 2015, fake foam palm trees along with high winds fueled a fire at the pool deck at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas.