Las Vegas firefighters responded to a fire early Thursday morning at the Sterling Gardens Motel on Fremont Street near 18th Street.
The motel was evacuated and one person was sent to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
According to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue, one of the occupants of the motel was using a space heater with a damaged wire that had been repaired with wire nuts and electrical tape. However, the wire sparked and caught the room's mattress on fire. The man inside the room attempted to put out the fire, but was overwhelmed by the smoke.
Most of the man's belongings were saved, but are damaged by smoke. The American Red Cross will assist the man. Damage is estimated at $5,000.
UPDATE: 4:05AM 1808 Fremont St Sterling Gardens Motel, fire in 1 unit, Dmg $5K contents only, 1 smoke victim, >>> pic.twitter.com/fOAHpJfzzX
— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) December 17, 2015