LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The city of Las Vegas is offering a new, temporary grant program to provide short-term assistance to city residents experiencing housing insecurity due to COVID-19-related loss of income.
Assistance will be provided for up to three months of reasonable rent or mortgage and be paid directly to the landlord or mortgage company on behalf of eligible program participants.
The deadline for pre-applications is July 31, 2020, or when the funds are exhausted.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately; assistance will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and only one (1) pre-application per household will be accepted. Anyone currently receiving a subsidy from another rental assistance program or living in public housing is ineligible.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have a gross annual household income that is at or below the maximum income limits indicated at LasVegasNevada.gov/HousingAssistance;
- Be a city of Las Vegas resident and reside in a property located within the city of Las Vegas;
- Have a delinquency notice from a landlord or mortgage company;
- Provide documentation of financial hardship due to COVID-19, i.e., loss of income, reduced hours, layoffs, etc.;
- Have a lack of assets and savings to pay rent/mortgage; and,
- Provide documentation of future financial management.
Completion of the pre-application does not guarantee placement in the program.
Staff will contact applicants to inform them if they are eligible or not.
Eligible applicants will be sent an application to complete and if approved, funds will be disbursed to the landlord or mortgage company.
The full process may take four to six weeks to complete.
HOW TO APPLY
Residents who do not have access to a computer, scanner or internet can schedule an appointment for assistance July 6-9, 2020.
Availability is limited; call 702-229-5935 to make an appointment.
For more information about the program, a list of required documents, frequently asked questions and the pre-application form, please visit LasVegasNevada.gov/HousingAssistance.
Those with questions can call 702-229-5935, Monday to Thursday 7 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., or email firstname.lastname@example.org.