It might just happen after all.
Rumors of a fight between boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor have been floating around for months.
UFC President Dana White, who has previously said it would never happen, has apparently changed his tune.
During an appearance on "Conan" on Wednesday night, White said that he DOES think it is going to happen although it's going to be a "tough deal" because of the egos involved. However, there is too much money involved for it to not happen.
Mayweather announced that he was going to come out of retirement for the fight and both fighters have participated in promoting a fight by bantering on social media and talking about it in various interviews and appearances.
However, McGregor is currently under contract to the UFC and that could be a sticking point.
It was announced earlier this week that the T-Mobile Arena had been reserved for a potential fight on June 10. But, that might be too soon. McGregor is currently taking a break until his first child is born in late April or early May. That would give him limited time to train for a June fight.
According to FOX Sports, McGregor would be the massive underdog. Mayweather retired in 2015 with a perfect 49-0 record and is regarded one of the best boxers of his generation. McGregor has never boxed professionally.
But, McGregor does have a couple of advantages over Mayweather.
He is bigger physically than the boxer and he is a southpaw. Mayweather has had problems with southpaws in the past.