A valley exterminator told 13 Action News they are seeing many more rats than before.
"It's hot, they're going to be traveling all over the place, they're very active with the heat," said John Zuasola with Red Rock Pest Control.
Zuasola said they are seeing them all over the valley.
However, he said the rats are especially fond of places with the greenest landscaping, like Summerlin and Anthem, because that means the best food.
Poison is one tool Zuasola used to get rid of rats. While it's certainly not good for the rat, Veterinarian Brian Hewitt with Cheyenne West Animal Hospital said it can also be very dangerous for your pets.
"The most common type of rat poison that's used is a rat poison that actually interferes with blood clotting," said Dr. Hewitt. "The problem is, if the dog gets into the rat poison, it interferes with the blood clotting but the symptoms don't show up for anywhere from three to five days."
The poisons can be dangerous for pets, but if they eat a rat that's eaten the poison Hewitt said there probably won't be enough of it to be harmful.
Dr. Hewitt recommends you call your vet right away if you think they may have gotten into the poison. Talk with your exterminator to find out what's the safest for your pets with what they're using.