Local News


Vegas man suffers critical burns in apartment fire

generic fire.png
Posted at 10:48 PM, Apr 22, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-23 01:48:25-04

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Las Vegas firefighters say a man suffered critical burns in a fire Wednesday morning.

Fire crews responded to a reported fire in an apartment in the 2300 block of Olive Street at about 7:20 a.m. Firefighters said they observed very light smoke showing from a two-story apartment building upon arrival.

RELATED: Breaking News in Las Vegas

When crews entered one of the apartments, they found an older man with second degree burns to his face and feet. He was also covered with soot, and it appeared to be having difficulty breathing while in the living room.

Fire officers said the fire was small, and they quickly extinguished it.

However, the man was treated on scene by fire paramedics and transported to the Burn Unit at University Medical Center with critical injuries.

Fire investigators believe a combination of smoking material and medical oxygen caused a flash fire, which also caught the man’s clothing on fire.

The damage was estimated at $1,000 by Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.