Local News


UPDATE: Elderly couple displaced after house fire

Posted at 7:35 PM, Aug 12, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-13 15:54:37-04
An elderly couple was taken to the hospital after a house fire on 2920 Crystal Bay Drive.
Firefighters received the call around 6:30 p.m. Friday. A stovetop and nearby cabinets caught fire in the kitchen.
Fire crews found heavy black smoke coming from the front of the house when they arrived at the scene. An elderly occupant of the house met them out front and told them her husband was still inside.
Two teams of firefighters entered the house. One team put out the flames within two minutes. The other team found the man asleep upstairs in a bedroom, covered in soot. Firefighters picked up the man and took him outside. 
The couple was transported to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. Their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.
Damages are estimated at $10,000. The couple was displaced due to the fire.