Local News


Kitchen fire reports triple on Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving safety tips from fire department
Posted at 3:39 PM, Nov 22, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-23 07:10:03-05

Firefighters are issuing a warning on Thanksgiving after a family loses their home in an overnight blaze.

“Today is the day that everybody should go and check the stove light three times to make sure all the knobs are off.”

Thanksgiving day is a busy one for firefighters across the country. 

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Public Information Officer Tim Szymanski says on Thanksgiving, the number of kitchen related fires triple compared to any other day of the year.

Szymanski adds that Thanksgiving is also a leading day for fireplace fires and carbon monoxide calls.

Fire officials are advising families to triple check cooking equipment after making dinner to prevent a fire from sparking.

“When you’re done cooking, take everything off the stove,” says Szymanski. “We’re tired and don’t want to do dishes, so maybe you’ll wait till morning, but put it all in a sink, it can’t burn if it’s not on a stove.”

If you have pets, Szymanski says to make sure any pots are out of sight and out of reach.

“When you go to bed sometimes animals will go up there and lick the pans and their paws will turn the burners on, and we’ve seen a lot of fires that start that way also.”

This warning coming after a North Las Vegas family was displaced Thanksgiving morning when their apartment went up in flames near Carey Avenue and 5th Street overnight.

According to officials the fire wasn't cooking related, but is a harsh reminder of not only the damage fire can do, but also for families at home to play it safe when it comes to ovens, stoves and grills.

Firefighters also say this family is lucky to be alive as the apartment did not have working smoke detectors.