Local News


Police dog home after stabbed during standoff

Posted at 12:29 AM, Feb 12, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-13 17:24:34-05

LATEST UPDATE: K-9 Nicky is back home after surgery, according to police Saturday.

UPDATE: The twelve-hour stand-off ended in a bloody mess. The suspect was taken down after the responding SWAT team unleashed their K-9's.

One K-9 did not make it out unscathed. "Nicky" was stabbed multiple times near the head.
Retired Metro officer Randy Sutton says K-9's are "trained to take the suspect down to the ground and hold them there."
But police say the suspect was bitten multiple times. 
"The way the dog bites is if there is an aggressive movement," he says. "The dog just grabs ahold of him. The dog won't just chomp on him."
Sutton says most suspects surrender at the sight of a charging K-9.
"They see a police dog," he says. "It's a huge detterent and most people will surrender."
Nicky's handler spent the afternoon with the dog at the hospital where it underwent surgery all afternoon. Sutton says K-9's and their handlers form a human bond.
"They're partners," he says. "They count on each other literally for their very lives."
Sutton says there's no telling how long Nicky will be off the streets, but finding a substitute won't be cheap.  

UPDATE: A police spokesperson says that one of their dogs was stabbed during the standoff this morning. The K-9 officer had to be rushed into surgery.

The information was given during a media briefing around 10 a.m. It was also revealed that the suspect was bitten several times.

The standoff ended shortly before 9 a.m. when the suspect was taken into custody.


LVMPD Police K9 Nicky received serious injuries this morning while apprehending an armed suspect. Nicky was rushed to...

Posted by LVMPD on Friday, February 12, 2016


UPDATE: The standoff was still underway as of 6 a.m. Friday. Negotiators are still talking to the person who is inside the apartment. Residents in the surrounding area are still not allowed in their homes. This is a developing story. Check back for updates.




Update on swat situation

Posted by Parker Collins on Friday, February 12, 2016


13 Action News was first on scene as SWAT vehicles arrived to a complex near Maryland Parkway and Desert Inn.  

Police surrounded the Maryland Park Apartments on Cambridge and Dumont shortly before 9 p.m. Thursday, said witnesses.

Several neighbors said they heard screams from an apartment on the first floor.

We're told a man was shouting "help me!"

That's when neighbors heard anywhere from two to four gunshots. 

One neighbor reported hearing glass break.  

Minutes later, police flooded the side streets.

Action News has reached out to Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to get more information.