LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — When determining where to buy a home, high or low poverty rates can be a determining factor. Poverty can bring with it many problems in certain areas with possibly higher crime rates, poor housing conditions, or even lower education options in the nearby schools.
A public relations company released a study that ran numbers measuring the different poverty rates in zip codes throughout the nation, including Nevada.
The study analyzed the most recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau and found the poverty rate in Nevada had fallen overall 5.7% from 13.8% to 13% from the latest numbers.
The entire study ranked the top and bottom 50 zip codes for poverty rates.
The five zip codes with the lowest poverty rates were as follows:
- 89085 (North Las Vegas, Nev.): 0.7%
- 89413 (Glenbrook, Nev.): 1.3%
- 89045 (Round Mountain, Nev.): 1.4%
- 89318 (Mc Gill,Nev.): 1.7%
- 89310 (Austin, Nev.): 2.1%
The five zip codes with the highest poverty rates were as follows:
- 89427 (Schurz, Nev.): 41.5%
- 89421 (Mc Dermitt, Nev.): 39.7%
- 89106 (Las Vegas, Nev.): 33.1%
- 89030 (North Las Vegas, Nev.): 32.7%
- 89501 (Reno, Nev.): 32.3%
More information about the study and its findings are also available here .