Local News


String of fires may be caused by squatters

Posted at 6:01 AM, Jun 15, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-15 20:39:06-04
Fire crews say that squatters could be the cause of an apartment fire near Sahara Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard.
Reports say that a mattress caught fire inside the apartment Wednesday overnight. No one was hurt.
Neighbors say they are concerned about squatters in their neighborhood starting fires and causing crime. One block away from the most recent fire, two squatter fires were reported within two days of each other in May.
The area has several complexes with fully furnished apartments, many of which are abandoned. Neighbors believe it's essentially an open invitation to squatters.  
"It's attracting the squatters, and the people who live in these apartments are bringing problems to the community," says Billy Nash, a manager of a nearby apartment complex.  
13 Action News cameras were outside the complex of where the latest fire took place when maintenance crews walked in on a man inside the same unit. He told them he was getting dressed, then walked out of the burnt apartment with his bicycle.  
Fire crews are still investigating, and the man has not been connected to the fire.  
Aztec Casino security says the property is condemned, and they could decide to demolish it.