Local News


Southern Nevada Health District asks public to report illegal dumping

Posted at 11:31 AM, Oct 23, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-23 14:31:06-04

The Southern Nevada Health District is reporting that illegal dumping complaints increased by 28 percent in Clark County from 2016 to 2017. 

Complaints of material that have been illegally disposed of include trash, sewage, and hazardous material waste. In 2016, the Health District received 1,223 illegal dumping complaints, in 2017 the number of complaints increased to 1,575, and in 2018 the number of calls, emails, and information received through the Health District’s website has continued to increase.

As the Solid Waste Management Authority for Clark County, the Health District is the agency with the authority for investigating complaints of the improper or unauthorized disposal of solid waste. 

Members of the public can play an important role in this process by providing information to the Health District if they witness the illegal disposal of waste. 

This can include improperly or illegally disposing of the following materials:

  • Garbage
  • Furniture
  • Yard waste or landscape debris
  • Tires and batteries
  • Construction and demolition waste
  • Raw sewage that overflows into areas outside of a building

Complaints made by the public provide the Health District with vital information needed to investigate illegal dumping in our community. However, there is key information the Health District needs to be able to follow up on a complaint. 

Report illegal dumping by calling (702) 759-0600 or access the online complaint form here. Required reporting information includes the incident date, the incident location within Clark County, and a description of the material that has been dumped.

Per Nevada Revised Statute 444, witnesses may be entitled to a $100 reward if the information provided leads to the assessment of an administrative penalty to the offender. This reward is paid when the penalty is received in full by the Health District.

Witnesses wishing to be eligible to collect the reward must be willing to sign a voluntary statement and provide testimony at a Solid Waste Management Authority hearing or in court if needed.