Local News

Actions

Shooting in NLV near elementary school causes concern for parents

Posted at 10:51 PM, Apr 01, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-02 02:41:11-04

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Investigators in North Las Vegas have arrested two juveniles for last week's shooting that left five teens shot.

All of the victims suffered minor injuries in the confrontation in the 2500 block of San Miguel Avenue, but the incident is a major cause for concern for many parents.

RELATED: 5 teens shot in North Las Vegas neighborhood Monday

The violence happened near Richard C. Priest Elementary while the Safekey after-school program was going on.

"I heard the speaker say, 'Hard lockdown, hard lockdown,'" said 9-year-old Maddy, a fourth grader. "Our teacher shouted, 'Go, go, go!'" recalled Maddy.

She was at Safekey when the gunfire occurred. Learning of the nearby violence, her mother rushed to the campus.

"While waiting, one of the shooting victims was brought out from the school on a gurney," said Teresa Cragon who believes some chaos and confusion ensued.

Cragon was concerned students sheltered in a bathroom, and they were moved outside to a corner of the campus.

"If there was a plan in place, then kids shouldn't be running from the bathroom to outside to trying to get back in the school," Cragon said.

"I do believe that everybody at the school and Safekey involved did the best they could," she said.

The City of North Las Vegas operates this after-school program, and a spokesperson said Safekey instructors go through 25 training courses that include emergency management and active shooter situations.

"I do think that things could be better, and I want to know what better is," said Cragon.

New safety training at Safekey locations is expected to be added next year.