LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — American Pit Bull Terriers are the most popular dog breed in Las Vegas, according to a report from the pet sitting website Rover.
The company took a look at dog breed data from over half a million pet owners nationwide and compiled a list of the most popular breeds in the United States in 2019.
Rover used the data to rank the top 20 most popular dog breeds nationally, and then looked at individual cities. Mixed breeds, Labrador retrievers, and Chihuahuas take the top spots both nationally and in most cities across the U.S.
Here is a look at the top five breeds in Las Vegas:
- American Pit Bull Terrier (#16 national ranking)
- Pomeranian (#19 national ranking)
- Maltese (#15 national ranking)
- Miniature Schnauzer (#4 national ranking)
- Poodle (#11 national ranking)
The top five breed in the U.S.:
- Mixed Breed
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
- German Shepherd
The report also examined how pet parents choose a new companion and the considerations that influence their decision making process. Some of the findings include:
- 37% of dog parents did no research before they got their dog, citing that it was love at first sight; 46% did some research before they brought their furry family member home.
- The main considerations people made before they got their dogs were size (54%), cost (43%) and disposition (36%)
- When it comes to what dog parents wish they would have known before they welcomed their dog into their family:
- 28%: That dogs may experience anxiety
- 27%: How much attention dogs would require
- 26%: How vocal my dog would be
- 25%: How much I’d have to clean up after my dog (potty, shedding)
- Lifestyle somewhat or completely impacted nearly 80% of hopeful-dog owner’s decision on what type of dog they chose. The biggest lifestyle factors included house or living situation (50%), family (42%), schedule (39%), activity level (30%).