LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — As you turn on your heater for the first time, it might be dusty from sitting in the cold and that dust could cause a white haze and burning smell. But, fire officials said do not panic because it's normal.
However, if it turns into smoke and your heater starts making noise that's when you should get out and call 9-1-1.
Experts say you should be checking your heater every two years and your air filter.
If you're using space heaters, keep them at least three feet away from beds and furniture, and never use an extension cord and always unplug them when they're are not being used.
For fireplace users, make sure the trap door at the top of the inside is open because that prevents carbon monoxide from building.
Experts said right now is a great time to make sure all your detectors and smoke alarms are working.