Local News


UPDATE: Body-cam footage shows suspect with knife before being shot

Suspect shot, killed by police June 20
Police shoot, kill domestic violence suspect
Posted at 6:24 AM, Jun 20, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-22 21:22:11-04

2ND UPDATE ON JUNE 22: Las Vegas police held a press briefing Thursday to discuss the shooting involving a police officer and a man suspected of domestic violence on Monday. Body cam footage of the incident was also shown at the briefing.

Sheriff Tim Kelly says that a call was received at approximately 12:14 a.m. June 20. A woman and children could be heard screaming on the call.

Patrol officers responded to the residence but were initially unable to make contact with anyone inside. A woman eventually answered the door and gave police permission to enter.

The patrol officers located 28-year-old Pedro Ramirez in the master bedroom closet. He was hiding between clothes and was armed with a large knife.

Police told Ramirez to drop the knife repeatedly. When he did not comply, they deployed two electronic control devices, which had little effect.

Ramirez then charged at the officers aggressively with the knife. Officer Prior shot the man in response.

Officers immediately rendered aid to Ramirez at the scene. He was pronounced dead at UMC Trauma.

WARNING: Graphic content

This is the 9th officer-involved shooting in Las Vegas for 2017.

UPDATE ON JUNE 22: The police officer involved in the shooting has been identified as 28-year-old Officer Kyle Prior, who has been employed with Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department since 2008. Officer Prior is assigned to the Community Policing Division, Spring Valley Area Command, and has been placed on routine paid administrative leave pending the outcome of a review for this incident.


Police responded to a call on the 1100 block of South Cimmaron Road at 12:45 a.m. June 20. That call came after a previous call reported a domestic violence incident was happening.

There was no answer at the door when officers arrived at the scene, so the officers returned to their vehicle and used their public-address system to request those inside come out. Eventually, a woman and child came out of the apartment and spoke with officers. Cops then went inside and found a man hiding in a closet under a pile of clothes.

The suspect stood up holding a knife. Officers then gave multiple commands to drop the knife and at least two of four officers on scene used tasers to no effect.

The suspect refused to comply with multiple commands to drop the knife and lunged at officers. That is when two cops fired their guns hitting the suspect.

The suspect was transported to University Medical Center, where he subsequently died.