Local News


Pet rabbit dies in Henderson garage fire

Posted at 12:22 PM, Feb 28, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-29 14:44:00-05

A pet rabbit died in a Henderson house fire Saturday evening.

The Henderson Fire Department responded to the fire on Liverpool Avenue, near East Sunset and Pabco roads, around 6:20 p.m.

The first arriving engine crew observed fire and smoke coming from the garage of a two-story, single family residence. Firefighters quickly accessed the garage and extinguished the fire. The fire was confined to the garage of the residence.

A woman was home at the time of the fire and was alerted by the home’s smoke detectors. She called 9-1-1 and safely exited the home with her five children.

One pet rabbit survived the fire while another pet rabbit died from smoke inhalation.

There were no injuries to residents or firefighters.

Two adults and five children were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in nature originating in the garage. Total loss is estimated at $90,000.