Local News


Pet owner warns others about marijuana poisoning

Posted at 1:29 PM, Jul 10, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-10 16:29:28-04

With marijuana being legal in Nevada for a little over a year, pets are now exposed to harmful narcotics more than ever. The pet poison helpline says they've seen marijuana-poisoning related calls go up by 200% in just five years.

That includes calls from the entire country. Not just states where marijuana is legal.

Signs of pot poisoning start about 30 minutes to an hour after pets eat it.
The mild symptoms include glassy eyes, stumbling, and going to the bathroom. Some of the severe symptoms are seizures, shaking, and comas.

A pet dying from marijuana poisoning is very rare, but you should still take your dog to the vet as soon as you suspect something's wrong.