LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — A trip to Las Vegas almost turned deadly for a retired councilman from Hawaii.
Danny Mateo and his family live in Maui. They were in Vegas celebrating his retirement after years of working as a councilman and county clerk in his hometown.
He and his family were at the LINQ Hotel when things took a turn for the worst.
Mateo was sitting on a bench when he suddenly went into cardiac arrest. Clark County paramedics rushed to the scene.
Making first contact with Mateo was Clark County Fire Department Station 32 first year trainee Ding Lasan.
Lasan says when he found Mateo he was breathing on his own and had a pulse. Lasan transferred Mateo to Sunrise Hospital to receive more treatment.
After days at the hospital, Mateo's mission was to reunite with the first responders who saved his life.
Alicia Pattillo has the story of how Mateo met with Lasan and others at Station 32 to express his gratitude.