The Henderson Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire on East Van Wagenen Street, near Lake Mead Parkway and Boulder Highway, this morning at about 12:20 a.m.
The first arriving engine crew observed smoke and fire on the first floor of a two-story townhouse. Firefighters initiated an offensive attack and quickly extinguished the fire, containing fire damage to the kitchen.
An adult male resident was home at the time of the fire and suffered from smoke inhalation.
He was transported to University Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
Four engines, a truck and two rescue units responded to the fire. There were no other injuries.
One man was displaced by the fire. Residents of neighboring units were able to return to their homes.
A City of Henderson Fire Investigator, Henderson Police, NV Energy and Southwest Gas Corp. assisted in securing the property.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to unattended cooking. Total loss is estimated at $8,000.
Unattended cooking is the number one cause of fires in Henderson.